News & Events
May 30, 2017: My new book, Les hors-la-loi de l’Atlantique, pirates, mutins et flibustiers, was published by Éditions du Seuil earlier this month. Here are interviews I did about it while I was in Paris: first, with Jerôme Skalski for the daily newspaper L’Humanité; second, with Emmanuel Laurentin and Valérie Hannin for the program, “La Fabrique de l’Histoire,” aired on Radio France; and third, with Gilles Heuré for the magazine Telerama. The book has also been reviewed (so far) in Le Figaro Magazine, Mediapart, and Le Nouvel Observateur.
May 27-28, 2017: Lecture in a program called "The Right to the Sea," organized by the Hamburg Port Hydrarchy in the "Theatre of the World" Festival, to be held in Hamburg, Germany. The event is free but registration is required.
April 26, 2017: Evening session entitled "Storytelling through Documentary Film," including a screening of Ghosts of Amistad at Goucher College. Info here.
March 2016: My book Between the Devil and The Deep Blue Sea (CUP, 1987) has been published in Greek as Between Scylla and Charybdis: Sailors, Pirates and the World of the Sea, 1700-1750 (Athens: Alexandria Publishers, 2016).
- February 2016: During Black History Month Ghosts of Amistad will be aired on more than 200 PBS affiliates nationwide. Please check your local listings for dates and times.
- February 2015: Lecture, "Rethinking Abolitionism from Below: The Dangerous Mind of Benjamin Lay (1682-1759)," Department of History, 211 Dickinson Hall, Princeton University, 4:30 pm.
- February 2015: Lecture, "Benjamin Lay: Abington's Radical Abolitionist," Quaker Meeting House, 520 Meetinghouse Road, Abington, PA, 7:00 pm.
- November 2015: Interview by Emmanuel Laurentin on France Culture (radio).
- November 2015: Two excellent reviews, by Mathieu Ferradou and Monique Wells, of Ghosts of Amistad based on screenings on Paris.
- October 2015: Lecture at the Collège d'études mondiales in Paris.
- Fall, 2015: Ghosts of Amistad will be screened at the Old State House, Hartford (Sept. 16), Yale University (Sept. 17), Trinity College (Sept. 18), Harvard University (Oct. 3), Oberlin College (October 5), Georgetown University (Oct. 15), the U.S. Embassy in Paris (Nov. 4 and 5), and Gordon Square Cinema, London (Nov. 13).
- June 2015: Interview and discussion with Tony Norman about Ghosts of Amistad and The Amistad Rebellion, City of Asylum, Alphabet City Tent, 318 Sampsonia Way, Pittsburgh.
- May 2015: The African Film Festival will screen *Ghosts of Amistad* at the Maysles Documentary Center, 343 Lenox Avenue/Malcolm X Boulevard, New York, NY, 5:30 pm.
- May 2015: Screening, Ghosts of Amistad, Schomberg Center for Research in Black Culture, Langston Hughes Auditorium, 515 Malcolm X Boulevard, New York, 6:30 pm.